- This event has passed.
Salute to the 40s
September 21, 2019 @ 10:00 am - September 22, 2019 @ 6:00 pm
This is one of the best vintage events in Britain with everyone and all things reliving the 1940s with the help of hundreds of re-enactors. This takes place on Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd September; doors open at 10 am. It is firmly in the spotlight this year with the 75th Anniversary of D-Day.
The Royal Marines Band will be providing an exclusive performance on the Saturday. Their performance will consist of an experienced Royal Marine jazz quartet performing music from the 1940s for the very first time at this event. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see this world-class band up close and personal. The jazz quartet are scheduled to perform at 12.30 pm.
This is an action packed weekend with too much to mention; here are just a few things not to be missed:
- Trentham Village Community will be transforming the No. 1 Smithery Courtyard to recreate a 1940s village; there will be cooking demonstrations for visitors to learn best how to use their rations and fabulous vintage fashion shows too!
- take a stroll down the “bombed out” street
- visit the 1940s Fire Station and watch their display
- new for this year is a Vintage Street Market which will line the streets with ’40s fashion, accessories, homeware and more.
- a variety of music and dancing throughout the weekend including the D-Day Darlings as seen on Britain’s Got Talent
- military zone
- Air-raid experience and tours
- free vintage fun rides including favourites such as a Ferris Wheel and Swing boat chairs.
- much more…….
As well as all of this the Historic Dockyard’s usual galleries and museums will be open to visitors including the last remaining British Second world War Destroyer – HMS Cavalier. Climb on board HMs Cavalier, HMS Gannet or HM Submarine Ocelot to discover what life was like at sea.
For all the details about the event and ticket information take a look at the Chatham Historic Dockyard website.