St. Mary's Island Active Retirement Association
Known as Saintara, the retirement association is continuing to thrive with a membership of 200 with a waiting list.
Thanks in part to funding from Chatham Maritime Trust's Community Fund, members now enjoy a weekly Friday coffee and games morning including short mat bowls, table tennis and a quiz. This takes place between 10 am and 1 pm.
Members can enjoy a get together with a guest speaker, a cup of tea and a good old chat on the afternoon of the third Wednesday of every month between 2 pm and 4 pm in the St Mary's Island Community Centre.
Weekly activities for Members:
- Monday afternoon at 2 pm. Members get together to play petanque on the pitch located adjacent to HMS Chatham Bridge. Their annual Boules tournament is taking place on the 19th June at 2 pm; participants and spectators are welcome. A fun afternoon is planned - refreshments and nibbles will be provided but you will need to take your own chair. £2 is requested per person to go towards costs. The money will be collected on the day.
- Tuesday. Members can enjoy Badminton at 2 pm at Medway Park, Gillingham.
- Wednesday. Members of the choir meet to practise every other Wednesday at 2.30 pm in the Community Centre (small hall). Members pay £1.
- Thursday. Tennis or short tennis can be organised locally for those who wish to participate.
- Friday. As well as the coffee morning following on from that Members can participate in Mah-Jong. There is also the opportunity to play new age Kurling for £1.50 which covers the cost of hiring the hallo and refreshments.
The Association arranges monthly speakers (Matthew Russell from the Copper Rivet Distillery will be speaking in June) and trips to places of interest, e.g. Brighton and the Sandwich Salutation Gardens as well as visits to some of the top London shows.
Members also organise their own activities including pub lunches, cycling, sailing, rambling and bridge plus line dancing.
Over 50's, retired or semi-retired qualify for membership at an annual cost of £10. Saintara is also open to non-Island residents. Why not go along to one of the monthly meetings on a trial basis?
Medway Council has produced a booklet to provide information to older people about the support that is available and events that are taking place in the community in Medway. It also contains information about care services, staying connected through volunteering and a lot more. Click here to read.
- Bicycle Security Marking - Wednesday 25th October 2017
Published 23 Oct 2017
- St. Mary's Island Residents Association Meeting Dates
Published 20 Oct 2017
- Chatham Maritime Trust Photographic Competition
Published 13 Oct 2017
- Preparation for demolition of Colonial Site
Published 11 Oct 2017
- Saturday 7th October - Bulb Planting on Central West Bund
Published 5 Oct 2017
- Estate Walk - Saturday 9th September
Published 7 Sep 2017
- Centennial commemoration - Sunday 10th September
Published 5 Sep 2017