St. Mary's Island Active Retirement Association
Known as Saintara, the retirement association is continuing to thrive with a membership of 200 with a waiting list.
Thanks in part to funding from Chatham Maritime Trust's Community Fund, members now enjoy a weekly Friday coffee and games morning including short mat bowls, table tennis and a quiz. This takes place between 10 am and 1 pm.
Members can enjoy a get together with a guest speaker, a cup of tea and a good old chat on the afternoon of the third Wednesday of every month between 2 pm and 4 pm in the St Mary's Island Community Centre.
Weekly activities for Members:
- Monday afternoon at 2 pm. Members get together to play petanque on the pitch located adjacent to HMS Chatham Bridge.
- Tuesday. Members can enjoy Badminton at 2 pm at Medway Park, Gillingham.
- Wednesday. Members of the choir meet to practise every other Wednesday at 2.30 pm in the Community Centre (small hall). Members pay £1.
- Thursday. Tennis or short tennis can be organised locally for those who wish to participate.
- Friday. As well as the coffee morning following on from that Members can participate in Mah-Jong. There is also the opportunity to play new age Kurling for £1.50 which covers the cost of hiring the hallo and refreshments.
The Association arranges monthly trips to places of interest as well as visits to some of the top London shows. Members also organise their own activities including pub lunches, cycling, sailing, rambling and bridge plus line dancing.
Over 50's, retired or semi-retired qualify for membership at an annual cost of £10. Saintara is also open to non-Island residents. Why not go along to one of the monthly meetings on a trial basis?
Medway Council has produced a booklet to provide information to older people about the support that is available and events that are taking place in the community in Medway. It also contains information about care services, staying connected through volunteering and a lot more. Click here to read.
- St. Mary's Island Youth Club - Cheerleading Evening & Red Nose Day Donations
Published 21 Mar 2017
- Alterations to mini roundabout on Island Way East (opposite Fishing Village)
Published 17 Mar 2017
- Land Management on the Chatham Maritime Estate
Published 9 Mar 2017
- 2017 Dragon Boat Challenge - Sunday 28th May 2017
Published 1 Mar 2017
- Medway Council Local Plan Consultation extended to 10th April 2017
Published 1 Mar 2017
- 2017-18 St. Mary's Island Annual Rentcharge Invoices
Published 28 Feb 2017
- 2017 Chatham Maritime Food & Drink Festival 27th-29th May 2017
Published 6 Feb 2017