Responsibilities of Chatham Maritime Trust
The Trust’s responsibilities on St Mary’s Island include:
- The Bridge
- The Dock Basin Edges
- The Flood Defence Wall (majority) - see our Flood Defence web page for more details
- The Riverside Walk (majority)
- The Parks (Finsborough Down, and the East & West Chains)
- Tadpoles Play Area (Restharrow Way)
- Shark Park (off Central Walk)
- Star Fish (at the end of Bradfords Close)
- The Millennium Sculpture
- The Community Centre
- Petanque Area
- Finsborough Slip
- Northern & Southern Bullnose and access
- Blue Crane
- The Lozenge (area outside Broadside House)
- Medway Docks Access
- Walter Burke Way (off Leviathan Way & Western Avenue)
- Verges around the main ring road - Island Way East and Island Way West
Roads & Verges
- The Trust is not responsible for the Island roads which remain the responsibility of the relevant housebuilder pending adoption by Medway Council. The main ring road (Island Way East and West) is now adopted so any issues with roads, footpaths and lighting should now be directed to Medway Council. The adoption process for the secondary roads are underway. The roads and pavements in Sectors 1 and 5 have now been adopted by Medway Council. This includes:
- Sector 1: The Crescent / Foxtail Close / Haven Way / Marine view / Meadowsweet View / Sandling Way / The Pintails / Pochard Close / the Whimbrells and Woodrush Place.
- Sector 5: Island Way East and Island Way West / Bradfords close / Cheldoc Rise and Goldcrest Drive.
Any issues with the roads and pavements (excludes landscaping) in the above-mentioned sectors should be reported to David Dodd at Medway Council on 01634 306000 or 07780 704199 or you can email email@example.com. Faulty street lighting should be reported to Russell Taylor on 01634 331404 or email Russell.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective 2nd September 2016 the maintenance responsibilities for Leviathan Way was transferred to Chatham Maritime Trust as was the landscaped verges around the ring road, Island Way East and Island Way West. The Trust's contractor, Turfsoil Ltd, will be taking on the maintenance of these areas.
It will take Turfsoil some months for the initial works to be completed along the ring road. After that they can concentrate on additional planting and restructuring to improve the landscaped areas.
Redrow are in discussion with the Medway Council regarding the adoption of their development (Sector 3).
- Further play areas will be provided in Countryside's new development sector called Azure. There will be 3 main areas: Neighbourhood Play Area, Local Play Area and Multi Games Equipped Area.
- For information on the Surgery
- For information on St Mary’s Island Primary School
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information on what the Chatham Maritime Trust is and does you can download our Frequently Asked Questions document (updated for 2016).
- St. Mary's Island Youth Club - Cheerleading Evening & Red Nose Day Donations
Published 21 Mar 2017
- Alterations to mini roundabout on Island Way East (opposite Fishing Village)
Published 17 Mar 2017
- Land Management on the Chatham Maritime Estate
Published 9 Mar 2017
- 2017 Dragon Boat Challenge - Sunday 28th May 2017
Published 1 Mar 2017
- Medway Council Local Plan Consultation extended to 10th April 2017
Published 1 Mar 2017
- 2017-18 St. Mary's Island Annual Rentcharge Invoices
Published 28 Feb 2017
- 2017 Chatham Maritime Food & Drink Festival 27th-29th May 2017
Published 6 Feb 2017